1.10.2010

Review: Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Collection/Liner

Ah, Makeup Forever liners! Now who hasn't heard of these or have seen other makeup gurus using them? They are one of the most popular pencil liners next to Urban Decay's 24/7 liners and of course there is good reason for that. I, myself, have been wanting to try these liners for a long time but I never really got around to it. However, I finally was determined that I need to see what the rave was all about, and if they would work for my stubborn eyes. Now, I apologize that I didn't review this sooner as I do not think the set is available anymore, but hopefully this will help with your decision on purchasing them individually.

Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes Eyeliner

Retail Price
: $35.00 (set), $17 (per full size pencil)
Availability: Sephora
Shades: Mat Black 0L, Dark Grey 21L, Blue With Green Highlights 12L, Shimmering Plum 4L, Champagne 23L

Pros
  • Soft and creamy
  • No tugging when applying
  • Good pigmentation
  • Good lasting power
  • Great for the waterline
  • Waterproof so they take a little bit of effort to remove.
Cons
  • If you buy the set, the eyeliners are quite small. They are only about 3in (7.5cm) measured with the cap on.
  • Not all colors come out as vibrant as they look in the stick.
  • Not 100% smudge proof on the waterline.
If you buy the set then your liners will come in this cute tin case. Personally, I just yanked all of them out because it takes up less space but you can reuse the tin to put random things like Q-tips, tweezers, business cards, etc.

As I listed above in the description, you get five liners in Mat Black 0L, Champagne 23L, Blue With Green Highlights 12L, Shimmering Plum 4L, and Dark Grey 21L. All of these colors are also available in the full size version so if fall in love with a specific color and run out, you can most definitely pick it up anytime of the year at your local Sephora.

These are swatches of all 5 shades with one swipe. Of course you can build the color up with a few more swipes, however. My personal favorites are the Mat Black 0L, Champagne 23L, and Blue With Green Highlights 12L as I feel that they are most true to color and easy to work with.

I like to use the black one on my waterline, and I find that it feels very comfortable there. I've tried a lot of pencil liners on my water line and most of the time, I can feel this waxy feeling after I put it on. As for the Champagne color, this is an awesome shade to use to highlight the inner tear duct. It's quick and easy, and stays put for a long time. The blue shade is a lovely color and before I bought these liners, I sort of had an idea of how I would like each shade to look like and this color definitely delivers. It's vibrant, but not too vibrant so it's a very wearable color.

As for the gray, it is a decent color. I wasn't wowed by it but nor was I disappointed. However, the purple was a disappointment. I was looking forward to the purple, but when I got it, it turned out to be a very dull color as you can see in the swatch. It has no sheen and overall, I thought it was just blah if that even justifies it. I think this color could have done a lot better, but sadly it did not.

On my eyes, these liners performed pretty good. My main reason for purchasing these was for my waterline and lower lash line. I like adding a pop of color there, and these are really great for that purpose. On my waterline, they don't last all day, but they last longer than any other liner I have tried on there so I definitely like it for that.

Overall, these are great liners and if you are really looking a new liner, why not give these a try?

Rating: (4/5)

13 comments:

  1. I actually picked up this set around Christmas time! I haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I have always used the Aqua Eyes 0L black one (I think that's the black one). I was excited about the price most! $35 for 5! That's a bargain especially when each is $17 (plus tax).

    I like to switch up my main black eyeliner between MAC's Feline, Smolder, MUFE Aqua liner, and Urban Decay 24/7. I did try the Dior black & Chanel black...they just don't compare to MUFE.

    Dior is sooo soft & almost liquid-y for a pencil. The Chanel was just too dry. It was hard to apply, and the pay out was not that black. I guess it's good for those who aren't going to the dramatic black.

    Wow, I had a lot to say about eyeliners lol. But eyeliner is something I cannot live with out! That and chapstick :)

    I hope you're having a great rest of your weekend!

    Love,

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked these up too! But I havent been able to play with them just yet. I've been curious about MUFE eyeliners too since everyone raves about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to try these out! I think I'm going to purchase them! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for this set at sephora last New Year but they don't have it anymore....:( I'm so curious to try this too because a lot have been raving about it....Thanks for the review...now I know what colors to get....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using a random choice of maybelline stiletto liner (brown), and 24/7 in brown and black. I like em all, but UD seems to be a favorite so far.

    Have you used 24/7, and how do they compare? Is there even a difference? I know the difference in price is very little, if any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these! MUFE liners have been on my list to try forever, but I don't think I'd pick up this particular set since I wouldn't use most of the colors... If they had a really vibrant purple... I probably would lol. I love purples. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the review! i've been eyeing this product for awhile, but i'm not sure if i should get it or not. i love the urban decay 24/7 formulation in bourbon but i hate the glitter in it. hoping mufe will compare?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww the colours are so pretty IMO :D Especially the Dark Grey one and the Metallic Blue one XD~

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been in the market to try a really nice plum colour liner but I'm not much of a pencil gal, liquid all the way. Gotta say though, I love how the dark grey and champagne look!

    xox Fee
    http://missfeelo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was so tempted to get this set too just for the pretty colours. i really like the champagne colour! but then i realized i don't usually ever use anything else besides my liquid liners. pencil just doesn't seem to work for me which is too bad :(

    i love your blog girl! you do some AWESOME reviews :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh nohh i missed the giveaway here :( so sad..

    anyway just wanted to say happy birthday to uuuuuuu, may u have many birthdaysssss to come :)

    My birthday is jan 22.. wow!!

    if i join maybe I will win :)

    hehehe

    good day

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there..
    i love the way you rave this mufe's eyeliner. i've been searching a good eyeliner pencil for my watery waterline, n all this time i always ended up with smudge eyes n look like i haven't sleep for a long time...so, i wanna give a shot for buying this mufe mat black, thanks to you..hope it'll be my soulmate ever :))
    good job....i like itt!!

    ReplyDelete